One of the key aspects of sustainability within business is how companies manage their environmental targets. Many companies seek to achieve these targets by putting in place a number of environmental initiatives which focus on the ways they can improve practices and procedures.
One major business chain in the UK who has taken an innovative approach to making their business practices more sustainable is the Macdonald Hotel group, who are taking a green approach to business.
The group has a number of hotels across the whole of the UK and as such are hugely aware of the need for them to meet customer expectation whilst at the same time keeping a focus on remaining environmentally friendly.
To achieve this, Macdonald has initiated the Room 15 programme, which identifies 15 areas highlighting their commitment both to the community and addressing environmental issues. It lays down the 15 commitments that the group hopes to achieve by 2015 and aims to make every part of the business more sustainable.
Some of the targets laid out in the Room 15 plan include:
- Electricity usage – Macdonald Hotels will aim to make 15% of the energy they use green electricity by 2015
- Reducing water usage across the group by 15% – they will seek to achieve this by taking such measures as installing low-flow taps and showerheads and avoiding water waste in key areas of all hotels
- Reducing waste to landfill to zero by 2015 – this will be achieved through recycling or sending waste for anaerobic digestion
- Recycling – Macdonald aims to give all staff and customers access to recycling facilities by 2015. The group will ensure that every room will have 4-part bins in place, which will allow guests and colleagues to recycle:
- Other materials
- Food sourcing – Macdonald Hotels will also aim to ensure that every hotel will source food that has been grown locally. This will ensure that transport and refrigeration costs will be reduced and will also help to build lasting relationships within local communities
- Detergent usage – the group will also use environmentally friendly cleaning products and will also encourage guests to choose when they would like towels and sheets laundered
Macdonald also hopes that every Room 15 in each of their hotel locations the showcase for their commitment to their sustainability programme and each hotel in the group will be encouraged to help meet overall targets.
If you would like to find out more about Macdonald Hotels Room 15 initiative, you can find out more by visiting their website.